Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thing 7: Waxing nostalgic on technology

I just moved into a new house, and as I unpack my life from the boxes, I find myself rediscovering old treasures, finding things I thought were lost, and occasionally finding things I wish I had thrown away. The treasures I found last night were my children's baby albums. My older child has a beautiful album of photographs that document the first two years of his life. My younger child has an equally beautiful album that documents the first two months of his life. Why?? Because that's when we bought a digital camera. It's not that we didn't take pictures of our younger son, it's that they're digital, stored on the computer, emailed to faraway friends and relatives. We can remove the redeye, crop as we see fit, and we never have to set foot in the camera shop. And sure, I could print the images out and finish the album for my younger son, but I never seem to have the time to do it. Someday I'm sure I will, just because I feel a little guilty about it, but I wonder if my kids will value the albums. We're a technology-driven society, and our kids will be even more electronically-inclined than us. I wonder if my sons will someday rather have the images on a CD or flash drive or whatever the technology will be than the print I so lovingly assembled...I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: